Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Combating the urge to procrastinate

What's that joke about Procrastination?

I'll tell you later...


I am not sure how many times I have thought about writing this article over the past week. Numerous times I login to blogger - just to get distracted by something that I would normally never bother with when I really do have the time to do it.

When I started blogging last month, I started with a few goals:

1. Create an external brand for myself with my posts
2. Find an outlet for my thoughts on various issues that I may not be able to express verbally
3. Become a better writer

It's amazing to note how interesting it is to read about the vicissitudes of the real estate market in Nigeria when I have to create a test strategy. Or how about that game of solitaire that you just cannot stop playing when you need to start filing your taxes? Or perhaps that urge to watch that episode on farming techniques when you have to start research to write a paper that is due in a week?

Although I always regret wasting time as I approach the deadline, it does not prevent me from repeating the same mistake the next time around. However, as I pat myself on the back for sitting down and actually writing this blog, I must say that I had a couple of aha moments that I would like to pen down before I forget.

So how does one really tackle this problem?

I have found that the only way to overcome the temptation to procrastinate is to actually sit down and start your work. The first step towards completing any task should be to actually note what exactly needs to be done to complete a task.

As I mentioned in an earlier post of mine using the algorithmic approach really helps to combat procrastination.

Step 1:
Write down what needs to be done and why it is important.

In my case - I needed to post on my blog because I wanted to improve my brand, improve my writing and channel my thoughts coherently.

Step 2:
Break down the task into small steps that can be accomplished with minimal work. It is important to make the first few steps tiny steps as there is no better motivator than success.

My first step was to write a title for this post. My second was to write whatever came to mind. I didn't worry about making it readable. I just wanted to dump everything I was thinking about into words.

Next I edited what I wrote. It didn't take me long to do these first few steps - and by the time I did I was involved in my work.

Step 3:
Get rid of all distractions

This is very important. As I mentioned earlier - anything and everything feels interesting compared to what you have to do at that moment. So make sure that you focus on the task at hand by removing all potential distractions.

For example - Do you randomly start browsing when you are supposed to be looking up material? Get something like Self-Control to block websites that tend to distract you. Check out this article for other good tools that you can use to control your online distractions.

Step 4:
Do not multi-task

This may seem simliar to the point above - however I believe it merits a step of its own. Recently I read an article that talked about how a Harvard professor realized that he could complete his tasks better by devoting his complete attention to the task at hand by getting rid of all distractions - such as answering email or answering telephone calls. Human beings are apparently not wired to multi-task - so why bother?

Step 5:
Start working

Now that you know what needs to be done and have blocked all distractions - get cracking. Nothing helps you get a task done - like actually getting started on it. It took me 10 mins flat to complete this article although I spent almost an hour trying to get the title and the first paragraph done.

I must say that writing this post was a cathartic experience for me. Now that I have completed this, I want to write more - another day...

3 comments:

  1. Nice one, Bharath. :-)

    And as usual, there is a very easy flow in the writing. And that's usually a reflection of a clear mind, at ease with the topic. Writing skills are of course very important but if the mind itself is cluttered or unsure about the topic, the best writing skills will only expose this vacuousness.

    I also like your choice of topic. Very useful topics that any person (but especially professionals)can relate to. Keep picking such topics - in today's time-starved - and content-overloaded world, people don't have time to read stuff that isn't going to be useful for them.

    "Anything and everything feels interesting compared to what you have to do at that moment." How true is this! How true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raja!

    I actually wondered what to write about. I then wondered why I hadn't posted anything for a couple of weeks and realized I had to do something about it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one Bharath. What I totally agree and truly reflect with my own experience is Step no. 4 - Do not multi-task. As I quote it, I would also like to emphasize that multi-tasking is not just by way of actions, but also by thoughts. Many times I had observed that my own mind had been (and it still continues to be, in many instances), a single white screen where multiple projectors are beaming movies from multiple cultures, multiple themes and multiple languages. Often times, the only way I could get rid of a chaotic screen is to switch off all the projectors, and selectively choose one projector to switch on and watch that.

    I do realize that the human brain should be used to only create devices that are capable of multi-tasking. In order to do that, the brain by itself should be mono-tasking.

    ReplyDelete